02 03 A Vintage Farmwife: Prayer Practice 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Prayer Practice

34
Are you happy with your prayer life? I am not and I never have been.
One of  our Montana pics.

I  want to be one of those people who wake up in the morning praising God, one of those people whose first instinct is always to turn to their heavenly Father, one of those people who says I will pray for you and then always remembers to do it.

Ouch. I just stepped on my own toes, big time!

A few days ago, I began a study of the book of Nehemiah in the Old Testament, using Nehemiah, A Heart That Can Break by Kelly Minter. Another blogger, Krystle, has been leading an online study of it this summer and I really wanted to participate, but am way behind schedule. Boo!

This morning during my quiet time of study in the book, one phrase hit me up the side of the head like a 2X4.

           "We will accomplish little of eternal significance apart from prayer." 


I was convicted again about MY NEED for conversations with my God. I want to fulfill my God-given purpose for living. I want to accomplish all kinds of things that will matter for all time, so I had better make some changes.

You know, God doesn't need my praise or my petitions. The rocks will cry out in praise for him if I don't. His inbox is no doubt full-to-overflowing with requests and petitions. But, you know, there may be someone who has a need or a situation that only I am aware of, a situation that God is waiting to hear about from me. I don't want to miss those opportunities any longer, and I am sorry for the times that I missed in the past.

He has prepared a way for me (and you!) to enter before his throne of grace for my own sake, for my own well-being, for my own blessing.

A relationship with anyone requires two-way communication, I know that. So why do I so often see prayer as a chore instead of a privilege?

Is there anyone else out there with this same spiritual weakness? I'm going to work on this since it doesn't come so naturally for me. I am going to become more intentional about my prayer life.

Would you care to join me? Or, perhaps you can share some tips that have helped you.
Please?

I can't wait to hear from you!

Hugs,


Linking up to...

Women in the Word Wednesday
Destination: Inspiration
Imparting Grace


Labels:

35 36 37 38